Thursday, December 31, 2015

Know Your Resources

Although I've touched on this exercise in another post (see here), I want to look at it a little more closely today because I believe it's important to get in the habit of knowing what tools you have to reach for when you need to apply your creativity to an event or problem.

As so many things that get reviewed at a time like the end of one year and the beginning of the new, take some time now to thumb through your rolodex of skills, references, and connections.  By reviewing what you have to hand, you can also identify those that you would like to work on developing in the coming year.

When I face a challenge, the first thing I do is to review what skills, references and connections I can use to find a resolution.  When I start a new job, the first thing I do is catalog the resources I have at my fingertips to be successful at the job.  For instance, in my current position, I work for a company that's been around for more than 75 years and has many, many employees that have been with the company for 25 years or more (some up to 45 years).  There are many strengths to that sort of employee make up but there are challenges, too.  So many of the routine things that happen are not written down.  Everyone just knows how to do and who to call but if you're new, that way of working can be very daunting and so much of your time is spent just trying to find out who to ask what questions of.  You also spend a lot of time in trouble because you've done things wrong and there's no way of knowing it's wrong until you do it wrong.

My best tool in this case was a piece of software - Microsoft One Note.  I was able to make tabs covering a wide variety of topics, including one called "Contacts."  Every time a new piece of the puzzle is revealed, I make a note and almost every single day, even after more than a year in the job, I refer to a tab in that file and I'm able to share what I've learned with other newbies like me so they don't have to go through the trouble I've had.

Those organizational tools like this will be different for different types of jobs and it's important to learn what you can use in each particular situation.

From the skills side of things, here are some skills that I value:

  • Lateral thinking (approaching a problem from a different direction)
  • Problem solving
  • Ability to learn about a subject quickly
  • Ability to think through a problem logically
  • Emotional intelligence 
These are some of the skills I work on continually so that when I need them, they're ready to go. 

In addition to these mental skills, I work on the practical skills that all me to be creative in my textile arts.  These are very practical, hand's on skills that I need to be able to call on when I'm designing. To be able to see the finished piece in my mind doesn't do any good if I can't put it down on paper and then execute it.  So I practice and keep in touch with techniques that will give me greater scope to do my thing.

What are some of the skills that you need to do what you love to do?  Make a list of those skills and rate yourself on your ability to use each one.  Which ones will you build on this year?  Which ones will you pass on to others that share your passions?  Teaching is one of the best ways of cementing skills you're building.  

I hope that the new year will be one of joy and creativity and new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment