Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Creativity and Emotions

I doubt it will be news to you that life isn't always easy.  The daisies aren't always blooming and the birds don't always sing.

At the risk of being trite, we all have positive and negative emotions.  Even happy moments can have a touch of wistfulness or sadness.  Starting a new chapter of life, for instance, requires that we turn the page on an old chapter.  I love to read and the books I love most are the ones that make me sad when they're finished.  I've enjoyed living with the characters so much that I feel a loss at not being able to carry them with me anymore. Saying goodbye to them makes me sad.

On the other side, my father was a master at finding something funny in the most difficult times. He could always find something absurd that made him laugh.  There can be moments of sweetness in the midst of sadness.

Do you know anyone whose emotions run their lives?  Who is a slave to their emotions?  I'm a person of very strong emotions.  There's nothing wrong with that.  But I've had to learn the hard way that I can feel emotions and embrace them without allowing them to make my decisions and run my life.  We can make emotions the scapegoat for bad decisions and lack of control or we can harness them to bring comfort to those in hard places and peace to those in turmoil or joy to those who can't see the end of the tunnel.

Creativity is a sort of life force that is not always born out of good times. Creativity can help us see what's not there.  It can help us brainstorm our way out of a deep pit.  It can raise us above the disappointment we often feel over our own failings and failures.

What I've learned is to live and think creatively when times aren't so rough so that the skill is well honed.  That way, in the midst of the highs and lows of emotions or difficult times, I have a way to harness my emotions so they don't crush me or lead me astray.  I know how to brainstorm or see beyond the present or find new connections or find and ask the right questions. I know how to create something that's never been dreamed of before.

I'll give you one example.  I was in a job that I loved doing, working with people I loved being around.  Circumstances were such that the company  went through a variety of changes.  That's not always a bad thing except we went through several mergers and acquisitions over a short period of time and inherited a company president who was an entrepreneur trying to run a company that needed someone who could bring some structure and infrastructure.  He wasn't happy unless everyone and everything was in turmoil.

After the last acquisition, the corporate culture we found ourselves in required that everyone work all the hours God gave, even to the point of sending emails in the middle of the night that staff were expected to respond to.  I was working late into the evening every night.  I loved the people I worked directly with and the work I was doing and I knew my job but I became overwhelmed and my emotions were overwhelming.  I even had to make questions about work from my friends and family off limits because I hated the negativity it brought into my relationships.

When you're tired and overwhelmed, finding the energy to overcome seems impossible, not to mention finding the energy and time to make the break and start looking for a new job.  I didn't want to stop doing my job, I just wanted it to not be so crushing.  I've decided it was very similar to the sorts of emotions and the mindset of someone who is in an abusive relationship.  The job becomes the master and there's no way to impose your will on it.  It sets the rules and you obey or else. You need it because you have to pay your bills but it leaves you no inner resources to walk away.

In the midst of this situation, I knew that I had to find one toe hold to something that could make me feel like I still had even a remnant of control over my own life.  I had to stop the never-ending spiral of bitterness and negativity by making a decision to find a vision of life outside that spiral.  I made myself sit down and think, "What is one thing I can do right now in the midst of this?"  For me, in my situation, it was as simple as downloading several job search apps on my phone and taking time every morning before I went to work to look through the search results for that day.

My next step was to make myself take the time to build my online resume.  That was a hard one because I had to track down dates and salary information and contact information.

Finally, I began to send out resumes to jobs that I thought were in my skill set.  I had to be careful to walk the line between underestimating what I was capable of (because I felt so beat down) and overestimating the challenge I was ready to face.  In this process, I was able to regain some control over my life and I ended up finding a job that would give me my life back.  It's not a perfect job and now, a year down the road when I feel so much more myself, it's not terribly challenging or fulfilling but it's put me in a completely different place emotionally so I can now begin to build towards what I really want to do.

Creativity can do all this.  Build your creative muscles and use them so you'll be ready for your own challenges and to help those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment