Saturday, December 12, 2015

Finding Hidden Inspiration

Some of the best books I've ever read have been those that I've come across by accident.  Many of them have been "favorite books" of people whose interviews I've read.  By paying attention to influences of influential people, you can find things that inspire them.  That's worth paying attention to.

One of my favorite books of all time came to my attention in this way.  In an interview of Prince Andrew, he mentioned that he was currently reading again a book he'd read many times called, "I Heard the Owl Call My Name." I don't admire a lot of what Prince Andrew has done or been involved in over the years but he is a man of influence and privilege and his statements about the book made me curious. Its simple power stunned me and it is a book, like To Kill a Mockingbird, that I revisit on a regular basis when I want to reground myself.

Have a look at the things that have influenced people you admire or are interested in or who are completely random.  If you meet a new person, ask them what their favorite book or movie or poem or song is and why.  You'll be surprised at how many times this will lead to inspiration and challenge, not to mention how it will open your eyes to hidden depths of the people around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment