Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Teaching is All About Learning

A teacher of anything is worth nothing unless they're ready and willing to learn from those they teach.  You can't lead unless you're able to follow.

One of the most disturbing things in history is where one group of people claim superiority over another.  Colonialism, Slavery, Nazi-ism, Genocide.  The list goes on and on.  If one person is superior to another, they feel they have nothing to learn from their "inferior." Superior imparts knowledge and values to the inferior and the flow is always in that direction, never the other way around.  That is the most dangerous attitude on the planet.  History is the record of it.

I will never give a minute of my time to someone who is so Masterful that they have nothing left to learn.  If you have nothing left to learn, you have nothing to teach.  Humility is such an old fashioned term but it's the only antidote to superiority.

I know that there are a number of things that I do well.  Some of them I do really well and some not so much.  But every day I remind myself that I have new things to learn that day.  Every day is a new day and every new day holds new things to learn and discover and create. 

If you want to be creative, be humble.  Approach each new subject with the heart of someone with something to learn.  It will be like a summer shower on dry ground and each new experience and each new creation will be fresh and full of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment